San Carlos Cemetery

History

Originally established in 1834 as San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, this cemetery is associated with the second mission founded by Father Junipero Serra. Comprising 13.5 acres, it is located in central Monterey across from Dennis the Menace Park and bordering El Encinal, the cemetery of the City of Monterey. Many of the founding members of our local community are laid to rest in this historic cemetery. A succession of outdoor crypts were built in the last four decades with the largest, Our Lady of Angels (1,000 crypts), built in 1993, with a new addition (400 crypts) in 2007.

Services and Features

More than 175 years later, San Carlos Cemetery is still open and serving the eight local parishes of Our Lady of Refuge (Castroville), St. Jude’s (Marina), St. Francis Xavier (Seaside), San Carlos (Monterey), St. Angela’s (Pacific Grove), Carmel Mission, St. Joseph (Spreckels) and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Carmel Valley).